Sunday, March 25, 2012

New & Old Memories of California

At work I get a break every few months when Mark closes the office, it always seems to come just when all of us really need it! We usually take our breaks in March, July, September & December. I get really behind with all the insurance claims, etc so it gets a little overwhelming when I get back in the office. BUT, it is soooo worth it! Jim & I decided to start our "spring break" in Huntington Beach & end up in Yuma for an airshow, featurung the Thunderbirds. We actually started in LA area at Santee Alley, I've wanted to go there for awhile. We were only able to be there for a very short time before they closed, enough time for me to find 2 cute purses. This summer we had so much fun finding different lighthouses in Oregon. This trip we loved going to many of the piers in southern California.

We had a fun-filled day at HUNTINGTON BEACH! We watched a kite show & then flew our own kites as a benefit for a boy who has cancer. It was so cool! We watched a surfing contest from the pier. Mom was raised in Alhambra & I remember hearing stories of her taking a bus, when she was a young girl, with her friends & went to Huntington Beach to play. The weather was a little chilly all week but the sun did come out most days for a couple of hours. While Jim fished I bundled up and walked the beach & read a book. It was heaven!!











Jim would fish & then feed his catch to this sea lion (or seal...I don't really know the difference)?


We loved the sunsets each evening from the piers!

Our short little ferry ride from BALBOA Island to Balboa Peninsula




Beautiful LAGUNA BEACH




One summer my family and my Uncle Jake & Aunt Joans family went deep sea fishing on Wendall Udalls boat in SAN CLEMENTE. Wendall was my Dad's first cousin. When the boat was cruising along it was a blast but when the fishing started I was the one feeding the fish with seasickness! One other time, I went deep sea fishing with Joe & Marcene in San Diego & again got so sick. Needless to say, Jim does fishing trips without me.


One summer, as a teenager I vacationed in OCEANSIDE with my friend Bev's family. I have some crazy memories of this place!






I was so excited...we found this place!! It was the hotel that my family vacationed several summers in CARLSBAD. The givaway was the outside shower that is still there. This place was where our family watched a black & white tv to see when man first landed on the moon! Apollo 11 was the spaceflight which landed Neil Armstrong and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin, on July 20, 1969. This is the Ocean Palm Beach Resort (between Grand Ave & Carlsbad Village Drive). I am not sure if that was the name way back then.

The back of the hotel

The shower is underneath this stairwell

This staircase is where a winding dirt path used to be

I remember these succulents that are all over the hill, on your way down to the beach


This is the beach where I have many great memories being with my family!


It was so awesome watching the para-sailers & hangliders at TORRY PINES!









The sea lions (& birds) at LAJOLLA Cove. We have taken our kids here to snorkle a couple of times but it was just too cold & windy that day for us to even try! We love watching all the seals!






Being at Crystal Pier always brings back such fun memories of taking our kids there. We had some really great times!! Just to name a few...Grandma & Grandpa's trailer which was "on the wrong side of the park", little crushes, Kent, the flea market, watching the fireworks from Sea World, and even a couple of trips to the hospital. Jim went on a deep sea fishing trip while we were in SAN DIEGO. Again, I spent the day reading & walking on the beach by Crystal Pier. I loved it!

Another memory with our kids is eating fish tacos at the ORIGINAL Rubios.

This was our last day in California. We went shopping at CORONADO ISLAND & Seaport Village.

Here we are at the airshow in YUMA. Jim & I have wanted to go to this airshow for a long time. With Jim's parents getting ready to move from Yuma to Snowflake we thought this would be the last time Jim's Dad would be able to go with us. We got to sit in the VIP area. There was sooo much free food & drinks! The weather was beautiful...cool with cloud cover, so it made it very easy to see the show. It was so amazing, even emotional at times!!



Larry has flown in this plane. This picture shows you how big the plane really is!

Re-enactment of Tora Tora Tora to honor Veterans, very cool!

Jim & Larry meeting World War II veteran Tony Nady, one of only four living survivors who served aboard the USS Nevada during the attack on Pearl Harbor.




We loved all of the planes but the best part was when The Thunderbirds performed...it was so cool!!